POSITION TITLE: Accountant
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
EXEMPTION STATUS: Non - Exempt
ORGANIZATION SUMMARY: Colorado Health Network, Inc. is a statewide not-for-profit health services organization doing business as Colorado AIDS Project. The open position is based in the Denver office.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for general accounting functions including Accounts Receivable billing preparation, Accounts Receivable entry, Accounts Payable entry, general ledger entry, bank deposits, company credit card reconciliation, and other general accounting duties. Responsibilities include support of all fiscal management and record keeping requirements. This is a non-supervisory position.
- Prepares CHN monthly invoices for grant funded contracts according to funder guidelines for allowable costs.
- Primary back-up for the Accounts Payable Accountant; entering and posting transactions into the accounting system and processing vendor payments on a timely basis. Communicates with regional offices to ensure that all invoices are received and processed timely.
- Prepares and enters approved adjusting journal entries, as needed.
- Assists with receiving, recording and depositing cash and checks for the organization.
- Reconciles donor cash receipts with the organization’s donor database, in partnership with Development staff.
- Assists the Senior Accountant with general ledger accounting responsibilities including entering approved month-end and periodic journal entries.
- Works with the Chief Financial Officer and other accounting staff with the preparation for the annual external audit and individual grant audits throughout the year.
- Maintains the Organizational Accounting filing system, retention and disposal, per the auditor approved document retention schedule and under the guidance of the Chief Financial Officer.
- Perform other accounting/operations duties and other general duties as assigned to support the mission of the organization.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability: The following computer skills are required of applicants: familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, SharePoint and the internet. Excellent communication, client relations and management skills. Highly organized and detail oriented. This position requires personal and professional accountability; self-management and initiative; dedication to quality improvement, professional integrity and research ethics and cultural competency; Must demonstrate accuracy, efficiency and excellent organizational skills. Must demonstrate effectiveness in the following areas: task management; teamwork; time management; and communication with teams, managers, clients, and company consultants.
Education or formal Training: Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; Master’s Degree is preferred. Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree with emphasis in accounting or finance is required.
Experience: One year of related experience is required. Experience in accounting activities including, accounts payable and receivable, and/or general ledger accounting. Meticulous attention to detail and a capacity to multi-task. Self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. Proficient in Microsoft Office products – especially Word and Excel. SAGE 100 or QuickBooks Accounting software experience preferred. Ability to successfully work independently and as a member of a team in a dynamic open-space work environment. Excellent organizational and time management skills. Willingness and ability to work well with diverse populations, including persons living with HIV, the LGBTQ+ community, persons of various ethnic backgrounds, disenfranchised communities. Experience with HIV/AIDS preferred. Experience working in a non-profit organization is highly desired.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Works with computer workstations, 10-key adding machine and standard office equipment. Works with software, including word processing, spreadsheets, accounting and fundraising software such as SAGE100 and Raisers Edge. Communicates with regional offices and community using telephone, e-mail, the internet, and fax. Requires ability to lift up to 45 pounds of materials. Requires clear speaking ability and the ability to use a telephone for extended periods. Requires ability to view a computer screen (near acuity). Salary commensurate with experience at a similarly sized non-profit organization.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants, please send a cover letter including salary requirements, resume, and three professional references to Sharon Opila, Human Resources, Colorado Health Network, 6260 East Colfax Ave., Denver, CO 80220 via email: Sharon.Opila@coloradohealthnetwork.org with "Accountant" in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled. All offers of employment are subject to the completion of a criminal background check. Colorado Health Network Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).