Position: Dental Assistant
Reports to: Dental Director
Location: Denver, CO (travel required)
For specialized nonprofit oral health care organization, assists dentists during examination and treatment of patients by performing the following duties.
Essential Job Functions:
Administrative Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Achieve professional dentist and staff relations through teamwork to ensure coordination of activities
- Order/maintaindentalsuppliesandequipmentstayingwithinthemonthlyofficebudget and monitoringsupply levels
- Comply with all OSHA regulations, maintain office and operatory cleanliness, and ensure equipment functionality
- Must be willing to understand and practice the mission, vision and core values of Howard Dental Center
Clinical Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Prepares patient, sterilizes and disinfects instruments, sets up instrument trays, prepares materials, and assists dentist during dental procedures
- Takes and updates medical and dental histories and vital signs of patient, records treatment in patient record
- Prepares for and takes dental diagnostic x-rays
- Makes preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts
- Pours,trims,andpolishesstudycasts,fabricatescustomimpressiontraysfrompreliminaryimpressions,cleansand polishes removable appliances, and fabricates temporaryrestorations
- Assists dentist in management of medical and dental emergencies
- Instructs patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs
- Provides postoperative instructions as prescribed by Dentist
- Ability to work with and assist multiple providers
Specific Duties (other duties may be assigned):
- Operative Dentistry: Matrix band application;Insert,condense and carve and finish composites class I,II, and V: Check occlusion, Mixed dental analysis (PEDO), Insert pulp cap dressing, Chrome (stainless steel) crown selection, adaption, and cementation, Medicated dressing placement for formocresol pulpotomy
- Fixed Prosthetics: Gingival retraction, shade selection, tray fabrication, final impression,construct, place and cement temporaries, try-in casting, occlusal records (static bite, index orimpression)
- Removable Prosthetics (Full or Partial): Primary impression, shade selection, mold selection, laboratory preparation, patient instruction, adjust and polish, functional tissue conditioner placement, final impressions, denture try-in(wax) and insertion, casting try-in
- Surgery: Suture removal, dry socket pack changes, patient instruction and education
- Endodontics: Place and remove temporary restorative materials, flush root canal, place root canal medication, remove root canal medication
- Periodontics: Periodontic pack placements, periodontic pack removal, patient education for A.N.U.G.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Dental Assistant Certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
Dental Assistant Certified, X-Ray certified, CPR certified, or equivalent combination of education and training
Experience working with basic office and database computer programs, including familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and the internet. Experience with fundraising, contact management or other database software preferred.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
Knowledge of and sensitivity to HIV / AIDS challenges. Proficient in written and verbal communication. Completion of HIV 101 training required. Bilingual Spanish-speaking preferred. Highly organized and detail oriented. This position requires personal and professional accountability; self-management and initiative; dedication to quality improvement, professional integrity and research ethics and cultural competency. Must demonstrate accuracy, and efficiency. Must demonstrate effectiveness in the following areas: task management; teamwork; time management; and communication with teams, managers, clients, and company consultants. Ability to uphold respect for client’s autonomy to make decisions about their sexual health. Must have flexibility, creativity, collaborative, and a positive workplace attitude in a small team dynamic. Also, strong critical thinking, active listening, and problem-solving skills to address complex situations.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Works with computer workstations, laptops, servers, and standard office equipment. Works with software, including electronic health records, client/patient data systems, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software as well as with online systems. Communicates with partner organizations and vendors using the telephone, e-mail, the Internet, and fax.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions:
Works in an office environment in Denver with occasional travel via automobile or airplane to offsite locations. Requires ability to lift up to 50 pounds of materials. Requires clear speaking ability and the ability to use a telephone for extended periods. Requires ability to view a computer screen (near acuity). Requires fingering agility for keyboarding.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter via e-mail to Lili Carrillo, Clinical Services Officer, at: Lili.Carrillo@coloradohealthnetwork.org.
Use the position name as the subject title.
*Position will remain open until filled*
Colorado Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)