Position: Part-Time Dental Hygienist
Reports to: Clinical Services Office
Location: Denver, CO
Position Summary: For specialized nonprofit oral health care organization, assists dentists during examination and treatment of patients by performing the following duties.
Essential Job Functions:
Administrative Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Achieve professional dentist and staff relations through teamwork to ensure coordination of activities
- Achieve quality, positive patient relations through excellent customer service skills to ensure no patient complaints
- Comply with all OSHA regulations, maintain office and operatory cleanliness, and ensure equipment functionality
- Must be willing to understand and practice the mission, vision and core values of Howard Dental Center
Clinical Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Perform full mouth periodontal probing or PSR on initial and appropriate subsequent visits. Record findings; note bleeding, mobility, furcae involvement and tissue tone in patient’s chart
- Clean calcareous deposits, accretions, and stains from teeth supra and sub-gingival
- Scaling, Root planning and Perio maintenance cleanings, determine whether patient needs 3, 4 or 6 month recall
- Apply fluorides and other decay preventing agents to prevent dental decay
- Polish and floss teeth
- Administer local anesthetic agents, if licensed
- Remove excess cement from coronal surfaces of teeth
- Perform tobacco use screening, initiating cessation support when appropriate
- Provide clinical services and health education to improve and maintain oral health such as brushing, flossing, and other plaque control methods
- Promptly update patient electronic dental records
- Apply sealant to the surfaces of teeth per diagnosis of dentist
- Attend all mandatory office and corporate meetings.
- Directly supervises hygiene students (preceptor acceptance required)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Graduate from an accredited Dental Hygiene School and successful completion of the National and State Boards
Certificates and Licenses:
CO License required. Malpractice insurance required. Licensed as a dental hygienist pursuant CRS Sec. 12-35-109 (c) or applicable state regulations or laws in the state where the hygiene is performed. Or must be duly licensed as a dentist pursuant state regulations or laws in the state where dentistry is performed. X-ray and CPR certification required.
Experience working with basic office and database computer programs, including familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and the internet. Experience with fundraising, contact management or other database software preferred.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
Knowledge of and sensitivity to HIV / AIDS challenges. Proficient in written and verbal communication. Completion of HIV 101 training required. Bilingual Spanish-speaking preferred. Highly organized and detail oriented. This position requires personal and professional accountability; self-management and initiative; dedication to quality improvement, professional integrity and research ethics and cultural competency. Must demonstrate accuracy, and efficiency. Must demonstrate effectiveness in the following areas: task management; teamwork; time management; and communication with teams, managers, clients, and company consultants. Ability to uphold respect for client’s autonomy to make decisions about their sexual health. Must have flexibility, creativity, collaborative, and a positive workplace attitude in a small team dynamic. Also, strong critical thinking, active listening, and problem-solving skills to address complex situations.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Works with computer workstations, laptops, servers, and standard office equipment. Works with software, including electronic health records, client/patient data systems, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software as well as with online systems. Communicates with partner organizations and vendors using the telephone, e-mail, the Internet, and fax.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions:
Works in an office environment in Denver with occasional travel via automobile or airplane to offsite locations. Requires ability to lift up to 50 pounds of materials. Requires clear speaking ability and the ability to use a telephone for extended periods. Requires ability to view a computer screen (near acuity). Requires fingering agility for keyboarding.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter via e-mail to Lili Carrillo, Clinical Services Officer, at: Lili.Carrillo@coloradohealthnetwork.org.
Use the position name as the subject title.
*Position will remain open until filled*
Colorado Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)