Position: Social Media (Sexual Health Education) Intern
Reports To: Strategic Programs Manager
Position Overview: Under the supervision of the Strategic Programs Manager, this position supports the Unfiltered Youth Program by designing and implementing digital social media campaigns focused on HIV prevention and sexual health education. This internship will include social media management, content creation, social media strategy, and paid digital advertising. This position is an internship, not employment, but will include a $500 stipend. Internship may be used for educational requirements for degree-seeking students, if applicable. Time commitment is currently projected to be 8-10 hours per week for 4-6 months, with possibility of extension if interest and fundingallows.
We highly recommend people of all educational background and life experiences apply. We believe sexual health services have historically underserved the most marginalized people in society — including but not limited to people of color, people from working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people who hold these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
About the Unfiltered Youth Program: The Unfiltered Youth Program is an initiative of Colorado Health Network to engage and provide leadership to youth/young adults ages 15-24 years old in HIV prevention and sexual health services (including education, testing, and PrEP). The program consists of four different tracks that engage youth/young adults as peer educators, social media influencers, and program leaders. Our social media presence is our key engagement tool and aims to educate youth/young adults about our programs as well as HIV, STIs, PrEP, condoms/sexual health tools, consent/communication, and other sexual health topics through educational posts, memes, video campaigns, and digitalads.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Assist with the design and execution of social media accounts, including ongoing content as well as specific media campaigns
- Create content calendars to utilize on various social media platforms
- Distribute content such as blogs, infographics, videos, and press releases on social media
- Track social media engagement to identify high-performing ideas and campaigns
- Assist in managing and utilizing digital media budget
- Update program information online—including the website and social media accounts, for information about events, volunteer opportunities, and relevant information
- Maintain understanding of harm reduction, overdose, HIV, STI, and HCV prevention issues and trends; participates in additional trainings when offered
- Maintain understanding of and conduct market research on new trends and strategies for social media, marketing, and digital media
- Provide ongoing reports of social media metrics and campaign statistics
- Attend events as needed to capture photography, video, and other media for social sharing
- Experience in digital media content creation, social media management, graphic design, and/or marketing and communications
- Comfortability discussing sexual health and drug use topics through a harm reduction, sex positive, and affirming framework
- Strong commitment to anti-oppression, social justice, and critical health equity frameworks
- Flexibility, creativity, collaborative, and a positive workplace attitude in a small team dynamic
- Effective verbal and written communication skills as well as high attention to detail
- Must either identify with youth/young adult populations (ages 15-24) OR have experience in marketing/advertising to youth/young adult populations
- Education and experience with harm reduction, opiate overdose prevention, and drug using cultures
- Basic knowledge of HIV, STIs, PrEP and other prevention methods
- Strong socio-cultural identification or work experience with people who inject drugs, LGBTQ+, and communities of color
- Bi/multi-lingual candidates strongly desired, especially fluency in Spanish
To submit an application, please email a resume and cover letter to Spencer Spotts, Strategic Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Social Media Intern” in the subject line. Application deadline is February 7, 2020.
All offers of employment are subject to the completion of a criminal background check. Colorado Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).